I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys: my easy as pie sloppy joe recipe (did I mention it was also delicious?!) Here’s the twist though, it’s not a traditional sloppy joe because we topped the meat up with some lettuce and honey BBQ sauce, but this combination is down right worth it! The buns were toasted to perfection and the meat and the BBQ sauce was a mouthwatering combination of sweet and savory! So, let’s get right into it!
Here’s what you will need to fill three buns:
- 1/3 pound of minced beef
- 2/5 large white onion
- 1.5 tsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tsp Sloppy Joe mix*
- 1 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 large lettuce leaf (divided 3 ways for each bun)
- Salt to taste
*If you can’t get a hold of a mix, this website shows an easy mixture you can put together that works as a great substitute! I’ve used it and it tastes just as scrumptious!
Here’s what to do:
- Add the meet into a pan and let it brown up. As it cooks, add in the finely chopped onions. The fats in the meat adds great flavor as you soften up the onions.
- Once the onions are translucent and the meat is completely cooked through, add in the salt and chili powder.
- Once everything is mixed very well, add in the tomato paste and water. Turn the heat to a simmer with the lid closed for about 2-3 minutes. Add the honey and mix well. Don’t add too much honey as the BBQ sauce has a great sweet tangy flavor to it already! I know it looks like a mess, but trust me, guys. The end result will blow your mind!
- Once the meat-onion-tomato paste combination has thickened, add in the mix.
- Toast the buns (I warmed it up in a toaster oven for about 45 seconds).
- Spread some mayonnaise or butter on the bun, add in the lettuce, place some of the meat and on the other piece of the bun, spread it with some honey BBQ sauce. Put it together, and DEVOUR!
That is it, guys! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did cooking and stuffing my face with it!
See you very soon!